Heart-Healthy Firefighter Program
Heart attack is the leading cause of on-duty firefighter fatalities, accounting for around half of all firefighter deaths each year. The NVFC launched the Heart-Healthy Firefighter Program in 2003 to combat this alarming trend through education, awareness, and resources. The Heart-Healthy Firefighter Program promotes fitness, nutrition, and health awareness for all members of the fire and emergency services, both volunteer and career.
Resources available through the Program include:
- Resources for starting and implementing a health and wellness program in your fire/EMS department
- Trade show booth with free resources
- Information on heart health, fitness, nutrition, and lifestyle choices
- Health and wellness challenges to help motivate your department
- Online courses to educate first responders about important health and wellness topics
- Securing Sponsors for Department Health and Wellness Programs, a toolkit for finding funding to support a wellness program in your department
- Heart-Healthy Firefighter Resource Guide
- Smoking cessation resources
- Success stories from first responders from across the country who have succeeded in getting heart healthy
Visit www.healthy-firefighter.org to find the resources and tools to keep you and your department heart strong and ready for the next call.