Access the NVFC Virtual Classroom
The NVFC Virtual Classroom is an online learning center featuring courses designed and delivered by fire service members and industry professionals. The courses are on-demand and self-paced, which means you set your own schedule. NVFC individual members are able to enjoy all courses free-of-charge. Log in to the NVFC member portal to find the code under member benefits/education. Please fill out the troubleshooting form if you encounter an issue.
Nonmembers pay either $12.95 or $17.95 depending on the course. Purchase an individual membership to take all Virtual Classroom courses free-of-charge. Select courses may also be provided free-of-charge for a limited time, regardless of membership status; these will be marked as free in the course catalog.
NVFC Virtual Classroom courses feature the following:
- Downloadable course materials and supplemental resources
- Course Evaluations
- Certificates of completion
Virtual Classroom courses are organized in the Catalog by the following categories:
BH – Behavioral Health
FC – Fire Corps
GF – Grants and Funding
HW – Health and Wellness
JR – Juniors
LD – Line of Duty
LS – Leadership
PP – Preparedness and Prevention
RM – Reputation Management
RR – Recruitment and Retention
SE – Safety and Equipment
WF – Wildland Fire
Access the Virtual Classroom
- Login to the Virtual Classroom at https://nvfc.digitalchalk.com.
- If you already have a Virtual Classroom account or are an NVFC member, login using your existing account information. NVFC members can use a coupon code to register for courses free-of-charge. Please fill out the troubleshooting form if you have an issue or a question.
- If you are not an NVFC member and have never accessed the Virtual Classroom, you must create a new account. You will be taken to a log in page when attempting to register for a course or when visiting https://nvfc.digitalchalk.com. Click on ‘create an account’ to create a profile. It is free to create an account. Or, join the NVFC as an individual member and enjoy free access to the Catalog.
- Once logged in to the Virtual Classroom, register for classes by selecting Catalog and adding your desired course(s) to the shopping cart.
- For courses with a fee, payment information will be required upon checkout. NVFC members can use the member discount code to have course fees waived; find the discount code in the NVFC member portal under member benefits/education.
- Once you complete a course, that course will no longer be available in your Catalog.
Continuing Education Units
The NVFC is pleased to offer Continuing Education Units (CEUs) on select courses. These CEUs are provided by Columbia Southern University. Current eligible courses are as follows:
- Behavioral Health in the Fire and Emergency Services (.1 credit)
- Cancer in the Fire Service: A Growing Epidemic (.2 credit)
- Fireground Accountability: Daring Not to be a Statistic (.1 credit)
- Flawed Situational Awareness: The Stealth Killer of First Responders (.2 credit)
- Incident Safety Officer (ISO) Series (.3 credit)
- Is Your Department at its B.E.S.T.? (.2 credit)
- Obesity in the Fire Service (.1 credit)
- Overhaul: What’s the Worst that Could Happen? (.1 credits)
- Preventing and Coping with Suicide in the Fire and Emergency Services (.2 credit)
- What to Expect: Helping Your Family Adapt to the Volunteer Fire Service (.1 credit)
These courses are free for members; however, there is a $20 service fee from CSU to issue the CEU. The price is normally $25, but because the NVFC is a learning partner to CSU, NVFC students receive a five dollar discount.
To get the CEU, follow these steps:
- Take the eligible course in the NVFC Virtual Classroom. Refer to the list above to see which courses are approved for CEUs; it will also be noted in the course description.
- Once you’ve completed the course, the NVFC will submit your grade to CSU – nothing for you to do here!
- CSU will then contact you to explain the next steps you need to complete, which includes filling out an online Participant CEU Request form and paying the $20 service fee.
- Once these items are completed, CSU will mail you your CEU certificate within 7-10 business days.
- Please note that this process must be completed for each course for which you wish to obtain credit.
If you completed any of these courses shortly before the CEUs were offered, you are still eligible to receive credit. CSU will be contacting you with additional details.
About Columbia Southern University
Columbia Southern University (CSU) is an online university based in Orange Beach, AL, that strives to change and improve lives through higher education by enabling students to maximize their professional and personal potential. A subsidiary of Columbia Southern Education Group, CSU offers online degree programs at the associate, bachelor, and master degree levels in a multitude of areas such as occupational safety and health, fire administration, criminal justice, business administration, human resource management, health care administration, and more. CSU also features undergraduate and graduate certificate programs to provide focused training in specialized areas for adult learners. Learn more about CSU at www.columbiasouthern.edu. As a learning partner, NVFC members receive a 10% discount on tuition to CSU.
Please carefully read the following terms and conditions relating to your participation in the National Volunteer Fire Council’s Virtual Classroom. The content of these courses is for informational purposes only. It cannot replace or substitute the services of trained professionals in any field, including, but not limited to, mental, financial, medical, psychological, or legal fields. It is also not an endorsement for any particular product. You should seek prompt medical care for any specific health issues; only a health care provider should diagnose a medical condition and prescribe treatment. The NVFC and its sponsors, speakers, contractors, partners, and affiliates are not liable for any damages that result from registrants’ participation in the Virtual Classroom.