Volunteer Spotlight: Dave Ferguson
Name: Dave Ferguson
Title: Fire Chief (Retired)
Department Name: Cowichan Bay Volunteer Fire Rescue
Location: Cowichan Bay, British Columbia, Canada
Why are you an NVFC member?
To connect with the volunteer fire service on a broader scale. As a consultant/advisor to the volunteer fire service, the resources provided by the NVFC are invaluable. The priority, from my perspective, is to value the time that volunteer firefighters are willing to give to their communities and to ensure that they receive the maximum possible return on that investment of time. The NVFC provides ideas, solutions, and perspectives that assist volunteer fire service leaders with approaches that are tested, practical, and rewarding for the fire departments as a whole.
What is your occupation?
Administrative Assistant to the Volunteer Fire Department
Why are you a volunteer firefighter, EMT, or rescue provider?
To serve my community. To share the skills I may possess in a team-oriented environment that will strengthen the fire service organization by allowing the other volunteers to focus on the reasons they joined the fire department. That would be to be trained to assist their neighbors and community at a time of a fire or life-threatening emergency and not be overwhelmed by record-keeping and other documentation demands that are required in today’s world.
What year did you join the fire or emergency services?
What are your memorable moments as a firefighter or EMS provider?
- Coming together as a fire department to deal with the LODD of a long-serving member.
- Hosting a provincial training seminar that is still talked about 12 years later.
- Watching junior firefighters develop into senior officers.
- Watching my son achieve the skills required to become a career firefighter.
What contributions have you (and your department) made in your community?
- Strong commitment to fire and life safety education through school programs, open houses, inspection program, etc.
- Introduction of first response medical aid program.
- Fundraising efforts to support individuals in need and community organizations striving to sustain and improve the quality of life in our region.
Interested in serving your community? Find volunteer fire service opportunities at www.MakeMeAFirefighter.org.