Volunteer Spotlight: Ambrose Souder
How long have you been an NVFC member?
Less than a year
Why are you an NVFC member?
I became a member of the NVFC to help educate myself so I can maybe educate those who want to become a volunteer but may need a resource to help them decide.
What is your occupation?
Field Service Tech
Why are you a volunteer firefighter, EMT, or rescue provider?
I wanted to do something different. I wanted to get involved in my community.
What year did you join the fire or emergency services?
What are your memorable moments as a firefighter or EMS provider?’
- That first time out of the station for my first real fire was January 1, 2015. Kitchen. Quick knock. Lots of overhaul.
- My first time as the nozzle man. 3rd floor fire. One of our guys stepped through the floor but managed to get out on his own.
- My first commercial fire was a restaurant. Was also my first summer with my newborn son. Got back to sleep after 36 hours up, between the fire and taking care of my boy.
- The first time my gloves were frozen solid during a winter blaze.
What contributions have you (and your department) made in your community?
- We host a movie night every year for the kids in the borough.
- Display our engine at the first Fridays on the main street for the kids to climb up and check out.
- Running of the Santa’s every year.
- We tour schools during fire prevention week and teach the kids all about what we do and what they should do in the event of an emergency.
* Interested in serving your community? Find volunteer fire service opportunities at www.MakeMeAFirefighter.org