VCOS Awards and Symposium Scholarships Available
July 21, 2014
The International Association of Fire Chief’s Volunteer and Combination Officers Section (VCOS) is offering scholarships to attend its Symposium in the Sun November 6-9 in Clearwater Beach, FL. In addition, the nomination period is now open for three VCOS fire service achievement awards, which will be presented during the Symposium.
The Symposium in the Sun is an annual event that addresses the unique needs of volunteer and combination departments, including transitioning from a volunteer to a combination department, recruitment and retention, leadership and management, staffing, and more. The following scholarships are available.
- VCOS Scholarships to the Symposium in the Sun: Two winners will be chosen to receive $1,500 to attend the Symposium
- Emerging Leader Scholarship sponsored by Gasaway Consulting Group: Winner will receive $1,500 towards travel expenses and registration for the Symposium
Click here to learn more. Scholarship applications are due by August 1.
VCOS is also accepting nominations for its annual awards program. Award nominations are due by August 31. Winners will have their travel, lodging, and registration to the Symposium in the Sun covered.
- The John M. Buckman III Award, sponsored by Provident Insurance, is given to a chief officer of a volunteer or combination department who demonstrates exemplary leadership, integrity, and outstanding moral values.
- The Emergency Vehicle Safe Operations Achievement Award, sponsored by VFIS, recognizes an emergency service organization that has experienced a significant and verifiable reduction in or zero collisions/incidents/crashes during the period June 1, 2013–May 31, 2014.
- The Retention and Recruitment Award, sponsored by VFIS, recognizes success and excellence in the retention and recruitment of emergency service organization members.