Take the NVFC Health & Wellness Advocate Train-the-Trainer Workshop in Iowa this October
August 5, 2013
Travel expense stipend available for approved attendees
The National Volunteer Fire Council (NVFC) is taking its Health & Wellness Advocate Train-the-Trainer Workshop to Iowa this fall. The course will be offered at the Fire Service Training Bureau in Ames, IA, on Thursday, October 10, from 8am-5pm. The NVFC will provide a $500 stipend to assist with travel expenses for approved representatives of state fire training organizations.
To apply for this free training opportunity, visit https://nvfc.wufoo.com/forms/health-and-wellness-advocate-workshop-iowa/. The deadline to apply for the Workshop is September 30. Please do not book your travel plans until you receive a confirmation of acceptance from the NVFC.
The NVFC’s Health & Wellness Advocate course teaches first responders the importance of health and wellness and motivates them to start a department-wide health and wellness program. Participants in this Train-the-Trainer workshop will be given the tools and resources they need to teach this valuable information to others. By becoming an NVFC-approved instructor of this course, you will assist your fire service peers in acquiring the following life-saving skills:
- Understand the health importance of starting a program.
- Identify and understand the major risk factors of heart disease, and be able to discuss their effects on an individual’s health.
- Develop and demonstrate listening skills that will help encourage discussion of a wellness program in the firehouse.
- Learn to communicate effectively with the administration and fellow firefighters the importance of wellness programming in the firehouse.
- Identify the overall “health behavior mood” of the station and determine the appropriate action to take to facilitate wellness discussions and activities.
- Understand and discuss the purpose and benefit of functional exercise training for injury prevention and increased efficiency in firefighting.
- Utilize surveys for the initial start-up aspect of the wellness program.
- Lead the startup phases of a wellness program, and be an advocate of wellness.
The Health & Wellness Advocate Train-the-Trainer Workshop is funded through a Fire Prevention and Safety grant with a goal to bring this valuable and potentially lifesaving training to front-line responders by providing state training agencies and fire service educators with the tools they need to incorporate this curriculum into their course offerings. Apply now for the October 10 workshop. Learn more about the NVFC’s health and safety initiatives at www.nvfc.org.
Questions? Email the NVFC at Rachel@nvfc.org.