Organizing Community Preparedness Activities
August 18, 2015
Photo courtesy of
We all have a role in preparing our communities for disasters, and organizing a community preparedness activity is one way to get started. With National Preparedness Month in September, and the next PrepareAthon! National Day of Action September 30, now is a great time to plan a community preparedness activity.
- Identify Local Partners. Look for programs that are already doing good work such as Citizen Corps Councils and Community Emergency Response Teams.
- Build a Team. Citizen Corps Council meetings are a valuable tactic for recruiting volunteers.
- Set Goals. Clear goals helps increase accountability.
- Serve Your Community. Find out what your community is doing to prepare for emergencies.
- Celebrate Success. Thank your volunteers after every event, and encourage them to sign up for the next activity.