Getting Prepared for a Flood
March 15, 2016
There are many easy and affordable ways for individuals, families, and communities to take action to be prepared for a flood emergency. Share these messages in your community so residents are ready when a flood strikes.
America’s PrepareAthon! How to Prepare for a Flood offers recommendations to help protect loved ones and valuables:
- Sign up for local alerts and warnings, download apps, and/or check access for wireless emergency alerts;
- Create and test your family emergency communication plan;
- Assemble or update emergency supplies;
- Conduct a drill to practice emergency response actions; and
- Participate in a preparedness discussion, training, or class (FEMA offers a Citizen Preparedness Course).
When people prepare and practice for an emergency event such as a flood, it can make a real difference in their ability to take an immediate and well-informed action. Get started by accessing flood resources on the America’s PrepareAthon! web site.