FY13 Fire Prevention and Safety Grant Application Period Now Open
February 17, 2014
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has announced that the FY13 Fire Prevention and Safety (FP&S) Grant application period is open from Tuesday, February 18, through Friday, March 21 at 5pm ET. Take advantage of this federal funding opportunity to help support your department’s fire prevention and safety needs.
Key Changes in the FY 2013 Fire Prevention and Safety funding opportunity include:
- The grantee cost sharing is now 5 percent for all eligible applicants for both FP&S and Research and Development (R&D) activities regardless of population size or applicant type.
- Applications and awards are limited to a maximum federal share of $1.5 million dollars, regardless of applicant type.
- The evaluation criteria under the Research and Development activity have been modified and now clarifies the evaluation process for the Research and Development applications.
ACTIVITIES ELIGIBLE FOR FP&S GRANTS
- Fire Prevention and Safety Activities: Projects designed to reach high-risk target groups and mitigate the incidence of death and injuries caused by fire and fire-related hazards.
- Firefighter Safety Research and Development Activities: Projects aimed at improving firefighter safety, health, and wellness through research and development projects that reduce firefighter fatalities and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
- First, download and read the FY 2013 Fire Prevention and Safety Grants Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA). It explains the purpose of the grant program, activities eligible for support, eligibility criteria, award criteria, application instructions, and federal requirements for grantees.
Visit the Fire Prevention and Safety Grants homepage on the Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) web site and use the additional application resources below to help you develop your grant application.
- FY 2013 FP&S Grants Get Ready Guide: This short guide will help you kick-start your FY 2013 grant application. It identifies the most important elements of all the grant application questions.
- FY 2013 FP&S Grants Self-Evaluation Sheet: This tool is based on the application scoring dimensions used by the peer reviewers. It will help you assess your organization's readiness to apply for a grant and help you plan your application.
- FP&S Grants Frequently Asked Questions
- Video: Community Risk Assessment and Fire Prevention and Safety Grants. This video describes how to conduct a risk assessment and how to use the results to plan and conduct fire prevention and safety projects in your community.
- Video: Fire Prevention and Safety Grants. This video covers the purpose of the FP&S Grants, types of eligible organizations and activities, and award evaluation criteria.
- Between February 18, 2014 and March 21, 2014, start your online grant application by going to the FEMA E-Grant Application Access webs ite at https://portal.fema.gov/famsVuWeb/home.
Contact the AFG Help Desk if you have questions about the FY 2013 FP&S Grant Funding Opportunity Announcement, online application, or any applicant resources. Help Desk Specialists will be available during the application period, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET. Toll-free telephone: 1-866-274-0960; email: email@example.com.