By PDGOO goopaydayloans
- Colleges and Universities
- Online Trainings that Offer Certificates
- Department Training/Education Resources
- Alternative Fuels and Electric Vehicle Training Opportunities
- Human Trafficking Indicators for Fire and EMS
- Additional Training/Education Resources
Through its courses and programs, the NFA works to enhance the ability of fire and emergency services and allied professionals to deal more effectively with fire and related emergencies. The Academy's delivery systems are diverse. Courses are delivered at the resident facility in Emmitsburg, Maryland, and throughout the nation in cooperation with state and local fire training organizations and local colleges and universities. NFA courses and course-materials are free, and most of the transportation and lodging costs for students who represent career or volunteer fire departments, rescue squads, or state/local governments attending on-campus courses are currently provided as part of funding under the student stipend reimbursement program.
NTED serves the nation's first responder community, offering more than 150 courses to help build critical skills that responders need to function effectively in mass consequence events. Courses include multiple delivery methods: instructor led (direct deliveries), train-the-trainers (indirect deliveries), customized (conferences and seminars) and web-based. Instructor led courses are offered in residence (i.e. at a training facility) or through mobile programs, in which courses are brought to state and local jurisdictions that request the training.
The mission of FEMA’s Center for Domestic Preparedness is to operate a federal training center for delivery of high-quality, comprehensive preparedness training programs for the nation’s emergency responders. All-hazards preparedness training for state, local, or tribal government emergency responders is fully funded by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Transportation to the Anniston, AL, facility as well as lodging and meals are provided at no cost to responders or their agency. View the CDP Fact Sheet and the 2011 Course list.
The nation’s rural emergency responders face unique challenges when compared to their urban counterparts. In recognizing the need for consistent, quality training which addresses those challenges, Congress and the Department of Homeland Security established the Rural Domestic Preparedness Consortium (RDPC) to develop and deliver relevant all-hazards training in support of rural homeland security requirements. See the RDPC course catalog for further details on each training program. All training delivered by the RDPC is certified by DHS and is offered tuition-free.
The CDC offers a wide array of training opportunities and resources, including:
- Emergency Preparedness and Response Training and Education
- Public Health Training Network
- Listing of Distance Learning Web Sites
- National Laboratory Training Network
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (AFIP) Training Site
The AFIP provides educational opportunities for military and civilian pathologists, physicians, and various medical and scientific professions.
U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infection Diseases (USAMRID)
Knowledge of the extensive biological and chemical weapons programs in other countries, and use of these weapons by terrorists both in the United States and abroad, have increased concern about the medical management of biological and chemical agent casualties. Military and civilian medical and public health professionals must become proficient in recognizing that a biological attack has occurred, activating the appropriate agencies and personnel to investigate the event, treating casualties, and preventing spread of disease.
Mason County Firefighters Training Committee (North Western Michigan)
View a list of hundreds of colleges and universities across the nation that offer degree programs related to the fire and emergency services on the National Junior Firefighter Program web site.
Peterson's College Search also offers a listing of over 400 colleges that offer degrees in fire science and related fields.
AccreditedOnlineColleges.org is a college directory that enables you to look for schools based on a variety of criteria, including degree programs such as fire science and related fields.
Designed for fire service professionals who hold an associate's degree and meet other requirements, the online bachelor's degree in Fire Science from Anna Maria College will prepare students to move up the career ladder in many careers related to fire safety and protection.
- Emergency Management Institute – Independent Study (76 Courses)
- NFA Online (23 Courses)
- Domestic Preparedness Campus – Texas Engineering Extension Service (11 Courses)
- Michigan State University - School of Criminal Justice (8 Courses)
- U.S. Army Biological Research and Material Command - Advanced Topics on Medical Defense Against Biological and Chemical Agents (7 Courses)
- National Terrorism Preparedness Institute - St. Petersburg College (72 One-hour courses, and 11 online courses)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (19 Courses)
- Office of Public Health Preparedness - Michigan Department of Community Health (1 Course)
- North Carolina Center for Public Health Awareness (79 Courses)
- American Board of Quality Assurance and Utilization Review Physicians, Inc. (1 Course)
- University at Albany, School of Public Health (28 Courses)
- Florida Center for Public Health Preparedness (2 Courses)
- U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (1 Course)
- South Central Center for Public Health Preparedness (2 Courses)
- United States Institute of Peace (2 Courses)
- South Central Public Health Partnership (20 Courses)
- Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (60 Courses)
- West Virginia University - VMC / Homeland Security Programs (3 Courses
- New York / New Jersey Public Health Training Center (2 Courses)
- University of Minnesota School of Public Health - Center for Public Health Preparedness (2 Courses)
- Iowa State University - Center for Food Security & Public Health (7 Courses)
- University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) - National Weather Service (NWS) Program for Operational Meteorology, Education and Training (COMET®) (15 Courses)
- National Wildfire Coordination Group's (NWCG) Training Working Team (TWT) (2 Courses)
- Columbia University, Mailman School of Public Health – National Center for Disaster Preparedness (3 Courses)
- TargetSafety.com (2 Courses)
- Georgia Training Resource And Inventory Network (G-TRAIN), Emory Center for Public Health Preparedness and the Office of Applied Public Health at the Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University (19 Courses)
- Yale New Haven Health - Center for Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Response (7 Courses)
- University of Kentucky - Kentucky Terrorism Response and Preparedness (5 Courses)
- United States Department of Justice – President’s DNA Initiative (3 Courses)
- U.S. Forset Service / U.S. Department of the Interior - Interagency Aviation Online Training System (26 Courses)
- National Mass Fatalities Institute - Kirkwood Community College (6 Courses)
- National Wildland Cooordination Group (6 courses)
Hundreds of thousands of people are exploited in modern-day slave trading around the world each year, and every state within the U.S. has reported cases. Fire, EMS, medical, and public safety workers whoe are in a position to have contact with these people through their duties can learn to spot the signs and report them. Training and resources are available through the Blue Campaign, the Polaris Project, Blue Blindfold, Blue Heart, and other programs.
Human Trafficking Video for First Responders
This short 7-minute video discusses the means, methods, and signs of trafficking can be incorporated into a departmental training.
Printable 2-sided card for fire and EMS
Lists indicators and medical symptoms of people who are victims of human trafficking.
Tools for Service Providers and Law Enforcement
Polaris Project’s interactive training for health care workers, fact sheets for educators, and other resources.